Wrinkle Reduction and Prevention
Modern dentistry can give you a bright and attractive smile that makes you look younger and more confident. But your skin may also require treatment to remove wrinkles to make the most of your dazzling, new smile.
Many dentists are beginning to offer skin treatments that combine with their dental work, to improve appearance and make patients feel younger and more attractive.
What Can Laser Treatment for Wrinkling Do?
Laser uses a carefully focused, high-intensity beam of light to remove the top layer of the skin surface. In this way, the minor wrinkling that normally occurs with aging and sun damage can be safely eliminated, revealing the fresher tissue below. Laser resurfacing may also be combined with other types of facial treatment, such as Botox or dermal fillers, to provide the most attractive results. Laser resurfacing can correct a number of wrinkling problems:
- Aging â€“ Laser treatment can remove the common wrinkles that occur from years of exposure to the elements and use of cosmetics.
- Muscle contraction â€“ Laser resurfacing can also reduce the effect of constant contraction of facial muscles.
- Sun exposure â€“ Years of enjoying the outdoors can cause severe damage to the surface layers of the skin that can be improved with laser resurfacing.
- Smoking â€“ Years of smoking causes contraction of the same muscles repeatedly that cause wrinkles, and also affects the ability to produce new collagen that keeps skin looking fresh and young.
- Acne scares â€“ Laser resurfacing can help to reduce the look of deep acne scarring.
- Birthmarks â€“ Laser treatment can reduce coloration of birthmarks.
- General skin tone â€“ Laser treatment can remove gray or yellow tones in the skin.
The Laser Treatment Procedure
A laser resurfacing procedure is generally done in a serious of steps. The steps are designed for your unique skin type, in order to ensure the best results:
- Pre-treatment â€“ As much as 6 weeks in advance of the procedure, you will be given special creams or lotions to apply to the skin to prepare it for treatment.
- Anesthetics â€“ You will be given a sedative to relax you for the procedure, and local anesthetics will be administered to numb the area.
- Laser resurfacing procedure â€“ Surface layers of skin are carefully removed, preserving the surrounding areas.
- Post-procedure care â€“ You will be given specific instructions on care of the tissues to promote healing and avoid complications.
After a laser treatment, you will be provided with specific instructions to ensure that you get the best result from the procedure. Dressings may be applied to the facial skin to protect the skin and ensure fast healing. You may be prescribed pain relievers to prevent discomfort as the tissues heal and antibiotics to prevent infection. These recommendations will include using special soap and moisturizers to promote healing of tissues and staying out of the sun for a period of time. After healing has completed, you may be advised to use special creams and lotions to improve collagen production to maintain the improved skin condition.
Risks of the Procedure
Most laser resurfacing procedures occur without any problems. However, like any procedure that breaks the skin, a number of problems can occur. Itching, redness and swelling is common. Bacterial and fungal infection can also occur, but the risk is minimized by following aftercare instruction carefully and taking antibiotics. Blistering and scarring can also occur, but are very rare. Laser treatment can cause changes in skin pigmentation. Laser resurfacing is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Patients who have diabetes or immune system diseases should not have laser resurfacing procedures. Individuals who take acne medications should wait for a year before getting laser procedures. If you have concerns about these or other post-procedure problems, discuss them with your dentist before treatment.
Boynton Laser Dental offers laser wrinkle reduction as part of their care for the overall appearance of their patients. They can provide a consultation to provide information on how laser treatments can improve the appearance of facial skin for a brighter, more youthful look